This turned out so good that my non-Primal significant other wanted to eat the entire thing. I love banana bread, and traditional recipes tend to have added sweetener such as sugar or honey. I never understand that, since bananas are so sweet! So, this is sweetened with only bananas and a tiny bit of applesauce.
This recipe is made with almond flour, and since almond flour tends to be quite moist from the oils in the flour, I chose to use a little bit apple sauce instead of oil. You could also play around with this by substituting coconut flour or a combination of both flours, although I haven’t tried that yet. I added the spices to mimic a spice cake, since I loooooove spice cake and thought it would pair nicely with the bananas. Enjoy!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- In one bowl, mash 3 bananas until of desired consistency. Add eggs, applesauce and vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Blend dry ingredients into wet.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan or square pan (depending on how thick you like it) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
Allow the bread to cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan.